A revolution is underway to enable people to live longer better, reduce the need for health and social care and reverse the effects of lockdown through the Live Longer Better in Hertfordshire network.
Our mission is to change the culture surrounding ageing, replacing the concept of care with the concept of enablement. No matter how old someone is and how many conditions they have, the expectation should be that they can be enabled to regain lost ability, improve their physical and mental wellbeing and make an even greater contribution to society.
Culture is at the heart of the movement. Living Longer Better means moving to a culture of coaching, rather than care. It is about equipping and encouraging people to be the best that they can be, regaining lost ability no matter how old they are and how many conditions they have. Enablement is the key.
There is strong scientific evidence that if we put into practice the knowledge that we already have, people can live longer better. Our library organises the evidence behind this and contains the knowledge that is needed to reduce the risk or disability, frailty, dementia and dependence on other people.
With an ageing population and little increase in healthy life expectancy, huge implications for health and social care services are expected. It doesn't have to be this way. The evidence is strong that disability and dependency can be prevented or delayed. A revolution is underway. Already about 20 million of the population are supported by networks of AgeUK, the Active Partnerships, the NHS, Local Authorities and the business community.
The networks' objectives for living longer better, are to:
- Prevent and mitigate isolation
- Increase physical ability and resilience and increase healthspan
- Promote knowledge and understanding about living longer better among older people and the wider population to counteract the detrimental effects of ageism
- Create an environment in which people can fulfil their potential
- Enable strengthening of purpose
- Support carers better
- Minimise and mitigate the effects of deprivation
- Reduce the risk of and delay or prevent dementia
- Prevent and minimise the effects of disease and multimorbidity
- Promote living well and dying well
Join the revolution
To stay up to date with the latest news from Live Longer Better in Hertfordshire, please join the mailing list below:
Joining this mailing list means that you will be contacted with news and opportunities relevant to the Live Longer better in Hertfordshire movement.